How do you get rid of radon once it is already inside your home? Nobody wants to have radon in their house since it is incredibly dangerous and can cause lung cancer when breathed in too much. But, once you detect this gas, how do you get rid of it? A wonderful location to start is to make sure that your household is properly sealed. Are there cracks in the windows? Are the doors not flush to the floors? Are there any holes in your air duct or the basement floor? You want all of those cracks and leaks patched up properly. You should caulk your windows, refit your doors and get air duct sealing, and also have the cement redone in your basement to make sure there are no air pockets… Radon absolutely loves to fit itself in those air pockets and contaminate your whole basement… Next what you can do is get rid of radon through active soil depressurization. What this involves is 4 inch piping in your basement floor, and then the pipe is installed in the ground and is extended in your walls. Then the exhaust pipe blows out the radon through an exhaust fan near an outlet. This fan can be installed right in your basement in the wall. Or the exhaust pipe can stretch all the way up through your household into the attic. Then the fan is located in the attic and blows the radon right out of your household. It is not too invasive or overpriced to deal with either. Removing radon is extremely important, and a little cost is definitely worth it for your health.
Skip back to main navigation